COVID-19: Pharmacy Policy & Health Tips
We know that as a society, we are taking drastic actions, such as sheltering in place, that can feel overwhelming. Yet we know why the actions are being taken – to slow the spread of the coronavirus in order protect those in our community who are the most vulnerable. This shared sacrifice gives me hope, as it demonstrates our willingness to look out for each other and step up to the challenge before us. We’re in this together and we will get through this together.
– Peter Koshland, PharmD and Koshland Pharm CEO
At Koshland Pharm, we continue to be committed to your good health and
the good health of our wider community.
Koshland Pharm Operations Continue During
Shelter-in-Place in SF County:
- We are able to operate as an essential business. Our regular open hours continue, Monday through Friday, 10am-6pm.
- We have halted outside traffic into our pharmacy to protect our facility. Patients are asked to choose delivery options for their orders. We offer overnight shipping Monday through Friday. If in-person pick-up is necessary, patients call or buzz our pharmacy and a staff member meets them outside with their order.
- We recommend ordering a 90 day supply (if appropriate for a patient’s particular therapy) and ordering refills at least five business days ahead.
How to contact Koshland
Please be patient with our staff. We are handling a high volume of calls and preparing a large number of refill orders to ensure that all patients have the medications they need in the coming weeks and months. We are steadily making progress, but patients may expect some hold times when calling by phone and delays in responses by email. We will work on patients’ orders as quickly as possible and get back to patients’ inquiries as soon as we can. We can be reached:
Tips to Keep Your Immune System Strong:
Get regular sleep, 7-8 hours a night.
Incorporate a daily stress-relief activity into your life, i.e. meditation, a walk (being conscious of social distancing recommendations of six feet from non-household members), gardening, etc.
Limit your intake of refined sugars and remember to eat a healthy diet of vegetables, fruits and protein.
We all know the CDC advice to wash our hands thoroughly and often. Posted here are the strict handwashing protocols our sterile technicians follow before entering the clean room for sterile compounding. Follow this simple guide to ensure no germs are present after washing your hands.
Take high-quality vitamins to support your immune system, such as:
• Viral Shield, which includes three herbs (andrographis, licorice root, and indigowoad) used for immune support and stimulation.
• Immune Support, , which contains 500mg of beta 1,3/1,6 of glucan per capsule used to mobilize cells that support the body’s first line response.
• Daily Vitamin Pack, which includes a multivitamin, probiotic, fish oil, D3, and magnesium to support overall health.
• Vitamins can be ordered online. Online purchases include free shipping. *Please note: we have had a large number of orders come in for Viral Shield and Immune Support and are currently out of stock as of 3/19/2020. We have ordered more and expect shipments to arrive at the pharmacy in the next two weeks. Please be patient as we will fulfill orders as quickly as we are able.
Koshland Pharm Coronavirus Policy to Ensure Pharmacy Operations Continue:
- Increased cleaning protocols:
- Four times a day cleaning protocol including all door knobs, head sets, break area. Regular stringent protocols for cleaning all lab space/equipment used for compounding.
- All staff washes hands upon coming into the building.
- All staff continues to wash hands following the sterile handwashing procedures throughout the day often and thoroughly.
- All staff temperature taken daily at start of shift.
- All staff wear regular masks and gloves when in pharmacy.
- Any staff member who comes in contact with outside vendors or patients washes gloves after each interaction.
- All staff change gloves at each break and clean gloves as needed during shifts with alcohol and air drying.
- All technicians wear N95 masks and continue to wear gloves as they always do as a part of their compounding protocols. To see regular pharmacy QA protocols, see our virtual tour.
- All non-operational employees work from home.
- All staff practice social distancing in break area (at least one seat apart from each other at tables in break area).
- If a staff member has symptoms of fever and cough/trouble breathing, they must be tested for COVID-19 and have a negative test result before returning to work.
- If a staff member has knowingly been in contact with someone who has a confirmed COVID-19 case, they must self-quarantine for 14 days or have a negative test result before returning to work.
- Our HR team is ensuring any staff who must miss work due to COVID-19 concerns does not suffer financial hardship.